The Margate City Board of Education maintains its office on the third floor of the William H. Ross Elementary School.

MARGATE – Students were evacuated from the William H. Ross Elementary School at the start of classes this morning due to the smell of gas in the building.

Principal Audrey Becker said the smell of gas was in the building shortly after students arrived, and the Fire Department was immediately called. Students were quickly moved to the school yard, where they stayed for about 30 minutes while the building was inspected.

According to Fire Chief Dan Adams, concerns were unfounded after South Jersey Gas swept the building and found no gas leaks.

“Sometimes you get a burp of gas when the boiler kicks off,” Adams said. “Our firefighters stayed on the scene for a while to make sure there were no problems.”

“Children should return to the building soon to complete their day,” Becker said in a Facebook post at 9:34 a.m.

Categories: Margate

Nanette LoBiondo Galloway

Award winning journalist covering news, events and people of Atlantic County for more than 20 years.