Photos courtesy Margate City Fire Department


MARGATE – A beach-block home was likely struck by lighting during a severe storm early Wednesday morning causing a general alarm fire that resulted in extensive damage to the upper floors of a home at 106 S. Andover Ave.

The Margate City Fire Department responded at 5 a.m. to the report of smoke in the residence, finding light smoke on the first floor, moderate smoke on the second floor and heavy smoke on the third floor. Firefighters quickly determined there was a working fire and called for assistance from the Longport Volunteer Fire Department. Ventnor City and Ocean City also responded. Atlantic City, Northfield and Linwood also were called to assist as the fire spread.

“Due to the nature and location of the fire, it was a very labor intensive operation by all crews on scene,” Fire Chief Dan Adams said in a release.

The home was occupied at the time of the fire and the owner reported hearing a “thunderous bang and strong flash” before smelling smoke on the second floor. The couple self-evacuated before firefighters arrived. No one was injured.

It took more than 90 minutes to bring the fire under control and fire investigators cleared the scene at 11:26 a.m.

Adams reminded residents to ensure they have working smoke detectors. If any Margate resident needs a smoke detector, fire prevention assistance or further information, call the Margate City Fire Department at 609-822-5562.


Copyright Mediawize, LLC 2023

Advertise with us


Categories: Downbeach

Nanette LoBiondo Galloway

Award winning journalist covering news, events and people of Atlantic County for more than 20 years.