Margate Fire Dept.

MARGATE – Firefighters responded to the report of a structure fire 2:35 a.m., Sunday, Oct. 6 at 12 N. Madison Ave.

The couple in Apartment No. 2 stated they were operating the clothes dryer before going to bed but were awakened by a blaring smoke detector and heavy smoke in their apartment. One of the occupants who attempted to put out the fire using a fire extinguisher was overcome by smoke and received burns to his hands. The ambulance squad him to Shore Medical Center in Somers Point.

Firefighters from the Second Platoon led by Capt. Tim Wainwright quickly extinguished the fire and contained it to the heater room area. Extensive smoke and minor water damage rendered the unit uninhabitable. There was minor smoke and water damage to the two adjacent units.

Longport and Ventnor fire departments and Margate police responded and assisted for backup.   The displaced homeowners are currently staying with family in Egg Harbor Township.

Dryer fires continue to be leading cause in house fires each year, according to Acting Fire Chief Patrick Armstrong.

He recommended:

  • Cleaning the lint screen after each use.
  • Make sure flexible vent lines are made of metal not plastic and are not kinked.
  • Do not use your dryer while you are away or asleep
  • Have your lines cleaned and serviced at least once a year

NFPA Clothes Dryer Safety Tips

Categories: Margate